Shoe Money Tonight

Occasional ramblings by an anesthesiologist/mother (and sometimes her husband).

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Why I know I made the right career choice

So this morning, when the alarm went off at 5:25am (as usual) all I really wanted to do was curl up under the covers, snuggle with the husband, and skip work because I still felt tired (as usual). But, obviously, I went to work. I spent 12 hours at the hospital today. What surprised me the most today was that as I was bringing my last patient of the day to the PACU, I realized that I wasn't tired. In fact, I felt completely refreshed. I certainly didn't feel like I worked a 12 hour day. So, since I started my anesthesia residency I have had several things to confirm that I made the choice: 1. I don't mind working 12 hour days, 2. I can feel energized after working a long day, 3. call can be really cool. Plus I love being the "epidural fairy". Seriously, giving a woman in labor an epidural is remarkably rewarding. They love you when your done. And I will admit, I get all tingly inside when someone tells me that they never even felt the iv going in. It just feels cool. I guess it's positive reinforcement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home