Shoe Money Tonight

Occasional ramblings by an anesthesiologist/mother (and sometimes her husband).

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Organ Donation

Organ donation has always been a pet project of mine. I was the president of the Organ Donation Interest Group at my medical school. I also worked on the Decision for Life project, which was geared toward education minorities about organ donation and encouraging organ donation. Organ donation is one of the most generous gestures a person or family can make. It has a profound impact on many lives.

There was an Op-Ed published in the New York Times a few days ago, titled Death's Waiting List . In it, Sally Satel talked about what it was like to wait for an organ (she received a kidney transplant) and put forth some suggestions as to what the government could do to improve the situation. She is one of the lucky ones because she got her kidney after being on the list for only a year. She does make some interesting arguments.

First, she points out that the Institute of Medicine issued a report titled "Organ Donation: Opportunities for Action" in which they only suggest one new initiative. They recommended expanding eligibility beyond brain death to people who die from cardiac arrest. Since there are a much larger number of people who die from cardiac arrest, this could potentially include more organs to the system. I think this is a great idea. This doesn't mean all of the people would actually qualify to donate or that their organs would be viable - but it still increases numbers.

Secondly she discusses some other options that she felt the NIM should have discussed. The European system is interesting. In contrast to the system in this country, where you need to expressly state your desire to donate and (in many states) tell your family of your intentions, in Europe they have "presumed consent." This means that it is assumed you wish to donate your organs unless you sign an "opt-out" card. This is an interesting idea. It would certainly increase the number of available organs. But I do find the idea of "presumed consent" slightly discomforting. There are some cultures that view organ donation as a desecration of the body, and if the way to opt out is not well publicized, it is possible for someone who does not wish to donate to become a donor by default.

Another option she discussed was offering incentives to donate, giving things in life to people who are willing to donate after death. Traditionally, this has not been discussed much because it is perceived as being "organs for sale." I think that the sale of organs should be banned. However, I think that if someone makes the choice to donate their organs deserves something. I know that in some states, living donors can have their medical expenses related to the donation covered by the state. I think that this is a good idea.

And there are options to donate while living. Living kidney transplants are being performed all the time. Live liver donor transplants are also being performed. There is a long list of people waiting for bone marrow transplants.

Last week I had the privilege to provide anesthesia to a living kidney donor. He was giving his kidney to his father. It also meant that there were TV cameras in the OR, because a local news program was doing a feature story on them. I admire the son. He's in his twenties and decided to give a kidney to his father. This puts him at risk of kidney problems in the future simply because he has one less kidney. Then there was the risk of the surgical procedure and the anesthetic. Essentially, we were performing surgery on a person who doesn't need it.

Think about being a donor. Talk to your family about it and make sure they know your wished. Check out the National Donor Marrow Program . Donate life.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like loads of fun...
Did your guests at least appreciate the efforts?!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Shig said...

So, I'm perusing Grand Rounds, and suddenly I'm like, "Hey! Who'd talking about organ donation besides me?" Good post. Thanks,

TC

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I donated a kidney December 2005. The young lady that I donated to is doing great. I would do it again!

2:59 PM  
Blogger CODA-Organ Donation Charity said...

My Heart Transplant

My blog will take you through my personal experience of having a heart transplant. It will show the importance of organ donation. It will give guidance in case you or a loved one have to go through the transplant experience.

If the averages held, on the day I received my new heart 18 other people died somewhere in the U.S. because there wasn't a heart, kidney, liver or other organ available to save them. That makes me a very lucky guy.

I now have a chance to see my first two grandchildren this year. Both my daughter and my daughter-in-law are pregnant. Even more importantly my father, who has inoperable pancreatic cancer, has a chance to see his first two great granchildren before he dies.

What do you do when you have been blessed with a second chance in life? That's an individual decision for everyone. I decided to organize CODA. The aim is to provide financial help to the less fortunate for the cost of prescription drugs and medical costs. It also awards scholarships to young organ recipients to help them with school costs. It is a 501 (c)(3) charity so financial contributions are deductible according to state and federal law.

Organ recipients have to take anti-rejection drugs for the rest of their life. If they don't, they will die. Many people cannot afford the costs involved in a transplant. Through CODA I'm trying to help. You can visit our website at www.codacharity.org.

Don't be intimidated by the "Make a Donation" button. It's not asking for you to donate an organ. It merely takes you to "Paypal" if you'd like to make a secure tax-deductible charitable contribution via the Internet. Thanks and I hope you enjoy reading about my personal experience.

Any day is a great day for a patient to receive a transplant, but to receive my heart on Valentine's Day, 2004 is very special to me and my family.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home