Shoe Money Tonight

Occasional ramblings by an anesthesiologist/mother (and sometimes her husband).

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Post-Call cravings

So maybe this is the reason I have such weird cravings post call. According to this article people who get less than 8 hrs of sleep a day (me not on call) and especially those who get less than 5 hrs of sleep (me on call) have higher levels of a hormone that increases hunger and low levels of leptin (which suppresses appetite).

I always end up with weird (read bad-for-me) food cravings post call. I'll drive home in the morning by way of Burger King (love those hash browns). Mike's Subs and La Pizza Club get a ton of orders from me for my lunch when I'm post call. And I order things like steak hoagies, fried zucchini, fried baloney and onions (a Buffalo favorite), chicken fingers, chicken wings, bacon cheeseburger subs, fries, onion rings, etc. Today's selection comes from Mike's subs (I love that I can order online) - full fried baloney and onions sub and onion pedals. Yummy.

And I wonder why I can't lose weight.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've also definitely noticed that if I don't get enough sleep, my body confuses "exhaustion" and "low blood sugar" signals. Especially since eating will temporarily perk me up -- but only temporarily.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home